[Gllug] netstat -pan --inet

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 11:26:53 UTC 2002

> Is anyone else out there trying to tighten up there box and
> if so should we
> have a time where people can scan each other to see what
> works and what
> doesn't. I think my box is reasonably tight from an internet
> perspective.
>
> Harry

I'm doing the same with a Debian box at the moment.
I've shut down all unwanted services although I find my log gets full of
"ident" requests.
The consensus seems to be that it's safest to turn it off but that the
internet would work better as a whole if it was turned on so I'll have
to look into this a bit more.
Also I'm checking out "snort" for warning of possible attacks.
I think as it's potato I'm stuck with ipchains (iptables only works for
kernel 2.4.x?).

I think it might not be a good idea to publish your IP address on a
public forum such as this as you could be providing 1337 h4x0r5 with
full details of your setup plus knowledge of which areas you're not too
hot on and thus your potential vulnerabilities.

Paul.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk