[Gllug] Wireless networking..

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 14:49:44 UTC 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 02:28:15PM +0000, pauln at truemesh.com wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 02:13:28PM +0000, Richard Cohen wrote:
>
> > Not necessarily.  I have a Prism2 chipset card in my 'server', and there are
> > drivers (alpha-level, but I've been using them for weeks without trouble) to
> > let you use the card as a AP, meaning you can run the rest of the network in
> > managed mode.  Gets you higher throughput and/or lower power use...
>
> Yes but for all extents and purposes two cards running in IBSS mode
> (ad-hoc under wireless tools) will work fine.  For home use I'd
> recommend this and ipsec/cipe/zebedee for network encryption.
>
> Cards in managed mode will happily connect in managed mode to an IBSS
> ad-hco node.

if both your systems run linux/*bsd then running in ad-hoc mode is
probably the prefered option. managed mode has nasty gotchas...

i would prolly recommend getting bluffalo/lucent cards about 60-80
pounds on TCR. as they are a know quantity and are well supported
under pcmcia-cs. although getting cards with good external antenna
connectros might be a higher priority, so maybe the cisco ones ...
but be prepared to pay.

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     |   .^. Don't fear|

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk