[Gllug] GLLUG ->Gnu Linux London Users Group

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Sun Feb 17 21:10:20 UTC 2002

    Nick> I am more enlightened now than a few years back.

So, in order words, you went to an RMS lecture last week.

    Nick> The battle is only lost when your beliefs in what is right and
    Nick> good die. The battle has just begun.

You aren't helping your cause.  Melodrama and short emphatic sentences
and pseudo-profundity are fine, but not over whether to add four
characters to the group's name or not.  If you want to fight The Battle
Of Free Software, do so by writing some, or doing something vaguely
effectual; not by talking holier-than-thou at those of us who don't
care.

Many of us aren't using Linux because it makes us into wonderfully
socially responsible people; we're using Linux because it's _good_ and
it lets us do things.  We've heard RMS talk on the subject many times
and for many years, and his GNU/Linux idea doesn't mean much to us.
Yes, many UNIX systems use GNU tools.  So, the difference between these
systems is often the kernel.  Why not call them by the part that's
different, then?  Should my desktop machine become a GNU/FreeBSD machine
because I run gdb, gcc and emacs on it, or shall we just stick to the
_meaningful_ differences between Unices?

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
         "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk