[Gllug] Monitors - 15" LCD vs. 19" CRT

Jim Cheetham jim.gllug at gonzul.org
Mon Feb 4 10:28:31 UTC 2002

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:13:19AM +0000, Lee Blackwell wrote:
> > FWIW, my 19" monitor (an Eizo FlexScan T761) cost over 600 quid.
> > That's over 3 times as much as a low end 19" monitor, and it's worth
> > *every* penny. You get what you pay for...
> I'd concur - my Eizo 21" (forget the model) is a minter.  Lots of colurs
> at silly resolutions with excellent clarity and stability.

We have 15" LCDs at the office. They are good for the size, and we're
holding them onto the desk 'walls' to they don't take up any desktop
space. Excellent - you couldn't do that with CRT :-)

However, they're (optimal at a) fixed resolution - 1024x768. Crap.
All main applications are run at full-screen, and there's still not
enough space. I'm using a win2k box here, so I've dropped in an
alpha-transparency application in order to be able to see multiple
'things' on screen (http://chime.tv - glass2k)

Glass screens generally support better resolutions than LCDs at the
moment. Go glass, if you have the physical space.

-jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk