[Gllug] RE: Gllug digest, Vol 1 #1660 - 10 msgs

jim at lateral.net jim at lateral.net
Wed Feb 20 15:42:25 UTC 2002

Hi,

> Ok folks - i have been lurking (and occasionally posting) on here for a
> while now - I keep seeing that (a) most of the regular posters use
> Debian, and (b) they keep mentioning something called 'apt'.  Now -
> call me a lazy barsteward - but I use redhat, and don't know wot apt
> is....

apt is the Debian front end to its package management system it takes care
of all or most dependency problems automatically by checking what on the
system and downloading what is needed if not there already.

So for example apt-get install apache will install not only apache but any
dependencies that apache needs before it downloads apache and any
dependencies they need before downloading them ad infinitum.

Apt-get update will update the database of packages and unsuprisingly apt-
get upgrade will upgrade packages based on that database.

My personal favorite is apt-get dist-upgrade which will update your entire
debian box where needed with the latest releases, though it will not do
your kernel.

Though only if you have a working fscking modem :-(

you can also use it to access debian CDs if you set them up with apt-cdrom
first.

If you like the sound of it try www.uk.debian.org for further info.

peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk