[Gllug] Backup recommendations

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Tue Feb 12 15:32:22 UTC 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:23:24 +0000 (GMT) David Damerell wrote:

> On Tuesday, 12 Feb 2002, jim at lateral.net wrote:
> >I too like my SCSI but if you are going to do back ups seriously
> >consider IDE storage arrays apart from the initial drive cost you have
> >no on going overheads unlike tape. Two 80GB IDE drives in a mirror
> >array will give you redundancy so if the one drive goes you can still
> >recover your data.
>
> Unless the room burns down, the machine is stolen, the disc controller
> goes mad, the PSU breaks and kills everything in the case, someone
> pours coffee into the machine...

We have a similar thing at work here (however I do much prefer tape
backups all in all) where we use IDE RAID to keep nightly dumps from our
servers and then every two days we take out the spare, mirrored drive, and
insert the third disk.  The contents from the first disk are then built
onto the second disk, and so on.  We swap out disks like that every couple
of days.  Not ideal, but it's a cheap and cheerful solution.

Regards,

	Martyn

--
http://www.drake.me.uk