[Gllug] tar.gz

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 15:03:27 UTC 2002

* Jackson, Harry (HJackson at colt-telecom.com) wrote:
> Does anyone have a recommended method for backing up a Detain box. I have a
> CD writer and have been copying the home, etc, boot, directories onto disk
> at night. I have also run into errors when trying to copy everything from
> the disk into an ISO image on the hard drive hence I am only backing up a
> couple of directories. I imagine it is something to do with the fact that
> you cannot copy file actively in use. Are there directories that are not
> really required to be backed up like /tmp.

You most certainly can copy files that are in use :)

Use tar or cp -a to make sure you don't have problems with file
permissions/ownerships etc.

Anyway all I usually back up /home, /etc, /usr/local, /var/mail (if
applicable) and I dump the output of dpkg --get-selections. You could
then restore all of /usr and every app you had before the backup by
taking that dump and catting it to dpkg --set-selections and running
apt-get dselect-upgrade.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |