[Gllug] tcp ip

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Feb 7 16:52:34 UTC 2002

>I had a look at the tcp ip illustrated book and at £50 I decided that it was
>a bit expensive.

O'Reilly's "Internet Core Protocols" is listed at 28.50, which may be
more palatable, and you can almost certainly find it cheaper than that.
Megabyte, for example, are doing it for 21.99. Order online at:

	http://www.megabytebooks.com/

or if you work in Colt's Beaufort House office, there's a Megabyte shop
in Aldgate Barrs.

>I read rfc 1180 last night and it was a bit simplistic. I have also
>had a good hunt around the rfc's and seen rfc 791, 792 and 793. Can
>anyone recommend any other required reading on the web. I like to
>print things out to read them do not ask me why I find it hard to
>read manuals on a monitor, I just do.

To be honest, while all this might seem a bit simplistic, it's because
TCP/IP is, at the end of the day, not that complex. People charge a
*lot* of money by managing to convince others that it is, but any
half way competent geek can learn the entire subject in a very short
period of time.

All the information is in the RFCs, but it may help if you have a
guide that shows how the various parts interact. The O'Reilly book
is a good option for this.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk