[Gllug] IDE CD burners

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Feb 21 16:53:14 UTC 2002

>SCSI ones are typically priced the same or only L10-20 more; a decent
>but cheap Tekram SCSI card can make it in under 50 quid. It is more,
>but I don't believe it's prohibitively so.

Been there, done that, won't be buying a Tekram card again. Purely
because there's no native Linux support in the base kernels (or at
least, not for the model I got). Had to patch the kernel with a
driver that even the author admits is unstable.

That said, I haven't had any stabliity issues myself, but if I was
doing it again, I'd buy an Advansys card to save the hassle. They
work out of the box, have superb Linux support, and are comparable
to the Tekrams in price. The only advantage the Tekrams have is
better availability. Finding someone that'll sell you an Advansys
card isn't easy these days...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk