[Gllug] network monitoring

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 17:58:21 UTC 2002

What recommendations do people have for free software for monitoring
remote servers?

I'm looking at the MRTG webpage ( http://www.mrtg.org ) which looks
good.

What I'm after is some thing that can monitor things like bandwidth
usage etc. and alert me by email if some h4x0rs are using them for ftp
warez or mail relays or installing rootkits or whatever.
Hopefully the setup is secure enough that this wouldn't happen in the
first place but you never know...
Or just if the server goes down due to power failure or something.

Could running a SNMP daemon be a security risk in itself?

--
Paul

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk