[Gllug] tar.gz

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 15:48:25 UTC 2002

* David Damerell (damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk) wrote:
> On Friday, 1 Feb 2002, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> >Because backing up /dev, /proc, /mnt and /tmp is silly. I also find it a
> >complete waste of backup media to back up /usr when debian knows where
> >to get and replace all that from it's package status db.
>
> /usr/src and /usr/local?

I mentioned /usr/local in another mail, I do back that up, yes. I also
mentioned /usr/src, nothing in there needs to be kept. The only thing I
compile in there is the kernel, and you can download that from anywhere.
I keep my .config for each kernel I build in /boot, so I back those up.
Especially if you built the kernel, backing it up means saving all those
compiled objects (a built kernel tree without a make clean is huge), a
complete waste of media.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |