[Gllug] Wireless networking..

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Feb 11 14:13:28 UTC 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> Martyn Drake(martyn at alug.org.uk)@Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:28:18PM +0000:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Very simple question - I want to network just two machines.  A laptop and
> > a desktop box (desktop running Red Hat Linux 7.2 with a USB Alcatel USB
> > Speedtouch modem for connectivity, the laptop running Windows XP).  I want
> > to go wireless, but do I absolutely need an access point or can I simply
> > buy two wireless cards (a PCMCIA card and a PCI card) and get them to talk
> > to each other that way?
> >

> Two wireless cards will work fine.
> you just have to put them into 'Ad-Hoc' mode.
> thats what i do with 2 x orinocos.

Not necessarily.  I have a Prism2 chipset card in my 'server', and there are
drivers (alpha-level, but I've been using them for weeks without trouble) to
let you use the card as a AP, meaning you can run the rest of the network in
managed mode.  Gets you higher throughput and/or lower power use...

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk