[Gllug] Backing up cron

Dean S Wilson dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Mon Feb 11 23:15:21 UTC 2002

No not backing up using cron as google seems to think...

I'm interested in hearing what other people on list do to backup and
maintain crontabs on Unix boxes (In my case its Linux, Solaris and
HPUX.) The ones in work are getting quite large and spread over
numerous machines so I've got this insane scheme where I either use
ssh and a separate user account with sudo to get a copy of all the
crontabs or the sudoed user and gnupg to send an encrypted email of
them (I like to send the fewest possible bits in plain text) to an
admin account and get them on to a separate box.

Once I've got them there I can diff them and if any changes are
detected leave a mail for the admin (me :)) and check them in to cvs.
The other possibility is I do a 'push' rather than a 'pull' and use
something like cfengine to dispatch them.

Views and comments welcome.

    Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand.
   ---  Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk