[Gllug] SCSI Hard Drives

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 15:32:32 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 03:15:10PM -0000, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> I have been offered the following two hard drives for £70 each.
> Fijitsu MAN3184MP    68PIN
> Seagate ST318305LC   80PIN

=)

> On doing a bit of a hunt around I cannot find much on the Seagate but plenty
> on the Fujitsu. I have checked with the supplier (not seagate) and the model
> numbers are correct. I am probably going to go with a couple of Fujitsu's
> but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I also find it a
> bit odd that the seagate LC uses 80 pins rather than 68 and I cannot be
> arsed looking for adapters. The guy said that they had been produced for
> Dell?????.

is 80 pin not differential?

> I also noticed that on the technical pages the equivalent seagates had 4
> physical heads and two disks whereas the Fujitsu had 2 heads and one disk.
> How does this affect the disk??

it depends on the type of disk access, and how the disk sector
translation table is allocated as to the relative performance of
each disk in relation to the number of heads/sectors/platters...

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     |   .^. Don't fear|

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk