[Gllug] Apache ~users

Sean Burlington SeanBurlington
Mon Feb 4 08:56:58 UTC 2002

On Monday 04 February 2002 2:52 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to enable ~username access to a Redhat 7.2 server running apache
> 1.3.12
>
> I've been reading the Charles Aulds book (Apache web server admin) and the
> various on-line docs and I keep hitting a brick wall.
>
> I've left the httpd.conf file set as the default
>
> UserDir public_html
>
> And used the following from my Mandrake based system that does work (and
> uncommented the example in the conf file)
>
> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>     AllowOverride All
>     Options MultiViews Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> but whenever I try and access http://site/~user/
>
> I get:
> You don't have permission to access /~user on this server.
>
> I've set up /home/user/public_html with an index.html in it (even if I
> specify ~user/index.html I get the same error).

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#forbidden
--------------------
Why do I get a "Forbidden" message whenever I try to access a particular
directory?

This message is generally caused because either

The underlying file system permissions do not allow the User/Group under
which Apache is running to access the necessary files; or
The Apache configuration has some access restrictions in place which forbid
access to the files.

You can determine which case applies to your situation by checking the error
log.

In the case where file system permission are at fault, remember that not only
must the directory and files in question be readable, but also all parent
directories must be at least searchable by the web server in order for the
content to be accessible.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk