[Gllug] Backup recommendations

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Tue Feb 12 15:53:53 UTC 2002

Off site storage was not the point I was addressing. I was just wondering
why you mentioned fire and brimstone, off site storage and possible failures
when Jim mentioned the IDE solution. Are we to make the assumption that
tapes are always held off site, do not get stolen and never fail or am I
missing some key point in this thread.

I was more interested in your reasons for knocking Jims solution. If tapes
are not subject to the types of things you mentioned then I would be
interested in hearing more about them because they are quite phenomenal
pieces of equipment. A few hundred pounds would be a small price to pay for
such an item that is fire proof, theft proof and is always in a different
location from the one it was used. These things bend the laws of physics and
if someone is selling them cheap I want to know about it.

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk