[Gllug] RFC - February meeting

Colin Murphy SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 4 09:45:48 UTC 2002

On Sunday 03 February 2002 10:58 pm, john wrote:
> The following comments were also made in the meeting.
>
> * We need a bigger lecture theater.

There is a large lecture theatre at the Uni, 300 seater, so this will not
be a problem next time.

This was the first FULL Gllug meeting at the Uni and there were a few
teething problems.

> * We need a way or place to leave the theater without disturbing the
> lecture - Some people like to drift in and out depending on who relevant
> the lecture is to them.

To drift in and out of a formal lecture would, to me, seem to be the
height of rudeness.  Some of the people who are brave enough to give talks
do not do it for a living.  I would have thought the last thing the
speakers need is to have people 'wondering' in and out.

In future, maybe the talks should be more fully described, what the
subject matter of the talk is and detailing how technical (or
non-technical for that matter) the talk will be.  People should then be
able to decide if the lecture will be of help to them before they get
'trapped'.

On this occasion, matters were slightly complicated by the fact that
everyone was ushered into the lecture theatre first.  It would have been
better if people meet in one of the other rooms first, allowing them to
form into there own groups, chat face to face (not side to side, necks
twis..., you get the point) and then move off to the lecture, when the
talker is ready to begin.  This would have happened on this occasion, but
we couldn't get access to the other rooms first.

> * Request for the installation and network areas to be closer to the
> lectures.

The main entrance to the large lecture theatre is on the same floor as the
computer labs that we have been using, so there should now only be a need
to walk 25M and not 50M and the flight of stairs.

> * There was a discussion on what makes the group GLLUG - is it the
> lectures, equipment sessions, pub chat or mailing list?

I value the equipment sessions and chat.  The talks, for me, are too
technical, which is why I was one of the 5 elsewhere at the meeting.

> * Request for talks to be more practical and not as much theory.

We have some great facilities at the Uni to provide more practical events.
There is a lab with a collection of machines in a closed network, just
crying out to be used.

> At this point I am afraid I retired back to Colins' to drink more and
> play on a computer.

Ah, if only we'd stuck with beer and not Yerba Mate fear wouldn't have
been an issue.

--
Colin Murphy
SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk

A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk