[Gllug] IPSec

jim at lateral.net jim at lateral.net
Tue Feb 12 11:25:29 UTC 2002

Hi,

firstly you may want to check out the online version of the VPN article I
am studying at the moment.

> Morning,
>
> A friend and I are trying to set up a secure connection between our two
> home networks.  He has an NTL cable modem and is on all the time while
> I have a modem.  We want to allow traffic between our networks when we
> are both online (He is always one but I'm not) and it looks from what
> i've read like IPSec is the best way to do it.  We briefly looked at
> PPP over SSH but then discovered the flaws associated with retrying of
> slow packets.

If you have NTL cable you need to configure the set up for dynamic IPs at
both ends more work but from what I am studying but it can be done.

> I've looked throught the IPSec docs at freeswan and there are several
> parts but none of them talk about connects with both ends having
> dynamic IP's. All their examples have at least one end with a static
> IP.
>
> What I would like to know is, is this setup feasible before I go
> further into this and does anyone have any suggestions for a better
> setup?

The Linux Journal article states; 'The management of VPN nodes with DHCP-
assigned IP addresses becomes tricky if both IP address assignments change
frequently.'

How often do NTL change the IP addresses if it is only when switched off
you may be able to pretend it is a static IP a simple script should be able
to tell you on login what the IP address is and if you need to change your
config files.

I hope you get this one sorted out, please let us know how it is going.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk