LSB and FHS (was Re: [Gllug] tar.gz)

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Fri Feb 1 16:15:53 UTC 2002

>So, I could well be wrong then: /opt is for "Add-on application
>software packages", and /usr/local for hand installed programs. Which
>raises the question: why does everything either get dumped in the main
>tree or in /usr/local? Surely other than the base system everything
>should appear in /opt if installed from a package?

My take on it is that anything vendor supplied should go in the main
tree, whereas third party software (e.g., Oracle, WordPerfect, etc.)
should go in /opt. Some distributions (e.g., SuSE, IIRC) make an
arbitrary decision to put some packages into /opt. IMHO, that's the
wrong decision, but no doubt they have their reasons.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk