[Gllug] Sun AS4030

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Fri Feb 8 15:35:42 UTC 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Simon Stewart wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 03:13:29PM +0000, Christian Smith wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Ian Norton wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks tet,
> > >
> > >yeah quick look on sunhelp.org and it looks like a sparc lx, aparently
> > >this one has 64mb in it,
> >
> > At the risk of sounding heretical, I'd recommend running NetBSD on this. I
> > think it'd be a bit faster (though I have no proof) as it appears to have
> > a lower memory overhead.
>
> Hate to sound even more heretical, but what about Solaris? Or is the
> LX one of the unsupported machines? You can download SPARC Solaris 8
> of the Net with a fat enough pipe.... GCC might take a short while to
> compile, but you could try and grab it from
> http://www.sunfreeware.com/

Hey!  You don't like me or something?  I don't know - I spend 8 hours a day
here slaving over a hot keyboard, and you go and tell people to use the
competition instead?

:-)

While you could use the Sunfreeware stuff, you could also use the *Sun*
stuff.  The Solaris Companion CD (available for download as a CD image or as
separate packages) contains gcc, along with a bunch of other stuff.

I need to shout at our marketing guy.  Why does no-one know about the work
we do???

> Cheers,
>
> Simon

Cheers
Richard
P.S. I've no idea how well Solaris 8 and/or gcc will run on that box.  One
of the advantages and disadvantages of being a new site is that we don't
have much old kit...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk