[Gllug] Mandrakes mad penguin

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Jan 29 17:32:04 UTC 2002

On 1/29/02, 5:18:31 PM, "George at College" <george.saxby at racc.ac.uk> wrote
regarding [Gllug] Mandrakes mad penguin:

> hi,
>  well I did this once before about 2 yrs ago and that was trying to move
that
> ugly Mandrake Boxy penguin from tty1 thro 6.
>       The graphics are in /etc/issue, so I deleted the rubbish bit in VI
saved it
> exited from the tty and lo and behold the ugly pengy was no more. Later I
> shutdown the machine on rebooting nxt day that bloody bird is back !!!!!

Several distributions re-create /etc/issue on each start-up.  I expect
that is what Mandrake is doing.

>       How do I get rid of it PLEASE

Stop turning off your machine.  Or edit /etc/issue the way you want it
and set the immutable bit.  Or find the place in the start-up scripts
where it happens and remove it.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk