[Gllug] Recommendations

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Jan 17 15:22:59 UTC 2002

>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent book on tcp/ip. I am
>reasonably familiar with the OSI model so I do not need an introductory
>book. I would like the major protocols described like smtp, snmp, udp,
>etc. If it goes into *nix specifics then that would suit me as well.

Unsurprisingly, I'm going to recommend an O'Reilly book:

	"Internet Core Protocols, The Definitive Guide"
	by Eric A. Hall, ISBN: 1-56592-572-6

It covers the basic core protocols (ARP, ICMP, IGMP, IP, TCP and UDP),
in about as much depth as you could ever need. A bit too much focusing
on the Shomiti Surveyor packet sniffer for my tastes, but I guess it
illustrates the points well enough.

If you want higher level protocols such as SMTP, FTP, etc., then I've
always found just reading the RFC to be enough. Most of them are pretty
simple at the end of the day.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk