[Gllug] SCSI Cards.

Zverina, David David.Zverina at uk.wmmercer.com
Wed Jan 9 16:55:23 UTC 2002

>> Well, I'm a SCSI bigot; in particular, IDE doesn't support
>> disconnect-reconnect, which is a pain for non-hard disc devices.
>
>Why is IDE cheaper and more popular then?
>I guess they're popular because they're cheaper :) but why are they
>cheaper?
>
>Is it purely historical accident and economies of scale (think VHS/Beta)
>or are SCSI systems inherently more expensive to manufacture?

Inherent. Think winmodem against full modems. Historically this probably
added a lot .... nowadays the manufacturing cost difference is probably not
that great. The pricing now mainly reflects volume and (upper) market
segment.

Cheers,

Dave.

The above information is confidential to the addressee and may be
privileged.  Unauthorised access and use is prohibited. William M. Mercer
Limited is regulated by IMRO and the Personal Investment Authority.
Registered in London No. 984275 Registered Office: Telford House, 14 Tothill
Street, London SW1H 9NB

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk