[Gllug] (no subject)

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 15:15:15 UTC 2002

Well, for what it is worth here's something on my printer accounting.

I have two version: 1.3, which is in use but has some known bugs
                    1.4.ALPHA, where I started to rework it and make it
                    more general. This is unfinished/a work in progress

I would be very glad for others to use it, and even more glad of some
help to finish off the half-done version. The reason for the re-work is
that in the light of experience I had some improvements, and I wanted to
tighten it up enough to allow us to use it for charging (this was always
possible in version 1.3, but I know there are a few bugs/holes). I also
wanted to make it more generic. I got part way, and then I've been run
off my feet for a bit and haven't yet got back round to it.

There aren't very good instructions/documentation for the working
version (1.3). I'd be happy to help set it up for either Darran or
Richard if you want to give it a try. Probably would be easiest to give
me a call sometime (afternoons best for me). It needs a bit of hackery
to get it all going, but it's not too hard.

The things you'll need: lprng + ifhp (HP filter utility, does
page-counts), plus the following:

the working version:
http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/download/src/perl/libdbfile-dbflock-perl-2.01.tar.gz

http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/download/src/perl/libnet-nis-perl-2.02.tgz
http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/download/src/perl/20010306-DCS_LP_acct_1.3.tgz
the perl modules install on all standard perl5s (tested solaris,
freebsd, sunos, linux). The dbflock one is a file-locked Berkeley DB
library, and the NIS one is a fixed version of the Net::NIS on CPAN - I
did submit my patches but nothing ever happened ):

the alpha/unfinished version is:
http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/download/src/perl/20010320-DCS_LP_acct_1.4.ALPHA.tgz

Regards,

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis 					Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.     Tel. 020 7882
7522

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk