[Gllug] Geforce2

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 21:16:06 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 21:02, you wrote:
> IIRC the stock XFree driver is called "nv" which works fine, but if
> you want to get maximum performance you need to install the
> closed-source driver that is called "nvidia". IIRC... :
Depending on your motherboard/processor/graphics-card combination,
the closed-source nvidia drivers can be a bit unstable and
occasionally freeze up. I have seen an Athlon/KT133/GeForce-256MX
combination with the NVIDIA drivers freeze every time on Full Screen
OpenGL apps. Guaranteed. Most annoying. There are known issues to do
with VIA, Athlon, AGP and GeForce. The ordinary XFree86 'nv' driver
doesn't do this but its not nearly as fast. Only really an issue if
you are playing OpenGL games. 2D stuff is fine.
--
Stephen Harker
steve at pauken.co.uk, http://www.pauken.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk