[Gllug] Talk by Richard Stallman in London, 12 Feb

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Mon Jan 28 09:44:52 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:59:31AM +0000, Nick Mailer wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 17:04, gllug at uncertainty.org.uk wrote:
>

> > Thanks for this very carefully written piece ...
> >
> > I agree (though from a less well informed viewpoint)
> >
> > RMS also stikes me as a prophet, as in a way does Bill Gates - both men
> > have shown remarkable foresight as well as  an understanding of both technolgy
> > and  society that is truly extraordinary.
> >
> > of course, they have used thier abilities in very different ways ...
> >
> > personally I love RMS for his outspokenness (though I don't care for
> > everything he says)
> >

> So do I! Which is not to say I haven't been at the wrong end of his strident opinion :-)
> See  http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/18146.html ;-)

hey - you're famous ;)

> It is rare to find someone with intellectual and philosophical passion.
> We live in the mire of the compromise, the third way, the "End of
> History". To find people still moved to intensity by ideas is
> inspirational, even if you do not agree in all the substantive detail.

truly

except one of my most depressing realisations was that Maggie Thatcher
was an idealist ! (just so far removed from my own ideals it took me a
while to realise)

What makes RMS really inspirational is that his zeal and idealism are
coupled with integrity and generosity.

He certainly isn't one of the grey men !

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk