[Gllug] Talk by Richard Stallman in London, 12 Feb

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 18:23:54 UTC 2002

On 26 Jan 2002, Timothy Coggins uttered the following:
> On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 16:24, Richard Cottrill wrote:
>
>> eventually settled. Actually he [RMS] got himself sufficiently worked up to
>> endorse piracy of software in no uncertain terms. Considering the audience I
>
> That's a bit of a bombshell. RMS has no respect for the copyright laws
> that he says keeps his software free (most of us would say open).

Er, he's always admitted that the GPL is an attempt to construct a
copyrightless society within a copyrighted one.

I have no respect for the copyright law either (or most of the rest of
`intellectual property' law), as currently framed --- but, again, if we
don't follow them we get in trouble, so...

> Anyway.. I'm off to re-badge and sell binaries of gcc under the name
> tc-cc:)

Feel free, as long as you provide a pointer to the source code as the
GPL requires.

--
`However, if you want to detect whether (say, 1 in 1000) cars are being
 abducted by bunnies along their route, you've got a whole new problem.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk