[Gllug] Is this funny

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Wed Jan 2 11:34:59 UTC 2002

On 1 Jan 2002, Nix wrote:
> This whole house of cards fell completely to pieces when other
> filesystems started to be supported, because the knowledge of the format
> of a directory was wired into lots of userspace programs :( many Unixes
> (such as Linux) even ban read(2)ing from a directory, on the basis that
> even if write(2)ing to a directory is banned, if you're allowed to
> read(2) from it someone will find a way to rely on that :(

It's a bit of a bugger though, I have been in situations (years ago) where
people have typed a rm -rf * in the wrong place and taken out useful things
like /bin, so you have a live system that is practically useless. Without ls
it's nice to be able to cat . :)

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk