[Gllug] SCSI Hard Drives

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Jan 22 15:27:31 UTC 2002

>I also find it a bit odd that the seagate LC uses 80 pins rather than
>68 and I cannot be arsed looking for adapters.

Nothing odd about it, just different connectors. The Seagate uses an
SCA2 connector, which integrates power and data, so you only need to
connect one cable to your drive. Quite why the world didn't go this
way ages ago is beyond me. Those of us coming from a Unix workstation
background are continually amazed at how primitive PC hardware is.
Changing a hard drive on a SPARC is typically a 30 second job. Compare
that with doing the same on a PC... Some PC servers (e.g., from Dell,
Compaq, etc.) are starting to use SCA drives, but the mainstream isn't.

BTW, Micro Anvika on TCR sell SCA to 50/68 pin internal SCSI adapters.
I think the last one I got was 14 quid.

>I also noticed that on the technical pages the equivalent seagates had 4
>physical heads and two disks whereas the Fujitsu had 2 heads and one disk.
>How does this affect the disk??

Although I haven't checked the specs for these particular drives, more
platters typically means lower latency.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk