[Gllug] Laptop battery faliure

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 13:09:43 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:37:48AM +0000, mallum wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> My Laptops ( compaq m300, debian sid ) has decided to forget its got a
> battery attached. Removing the power cable causes the little fella to
> die instantly. Wierd thing is, when I press the little test button on
> the battery it reports to be fully charged. Apm also reports the
> battery to be fully charged. Also the contacts all look fine between
> the battery and the laptop.
>
> I did a big apt-get upgrade the other day and apm got upgrade I dont
> think however this is the problem ( ie its not software ) as the
> machine also dies instantly when I remove the power before it even
> gets to LILO.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with type of problem ? Does it look like
> a case of pulling the thing apart and checking for loose connections ?

Similar thing happen`ed to my Libretto. The battery went from empty to
fully charged in about ten seconds, but remove the mains cable and it
died, The fault was with the battery (which was three years old) and
started after it had been travelling around the country for a week.

I bought a replacement battery and all was well.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk