[Gllug] SCSI Cards.

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Tue Jan 22 22:35:20 UTC 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> > Is it purely historical accident and economies of scale (think VHS/Beta)
> > or are SCSI systems inherently more expensive to manufacture?
>
> Inherently.

As I understand it, the reason why the disks themselves are so much more
expensive is to do with error tollerance - while the manufacturing process
is the same, a SCSI hard disk is specified as having no more than 2% error
on the surface of the disk, whereas an IDE disk can have up to 40% errors
at manufacture.  This leads to disks that didn't make the SCSI grade also
being demoted to IDE (by having difference drive electronics fitted later)
and explains the far wider size variation for IDE disks compared to SCSI.

Bill.

--
William Palfreman

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk