[Gllug] Geforce2

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed Jan 23 13:26:52 UTC 2002

tet at accucard.com(tet at accucard.com)@Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:45:23PM +0000:

> >IMHO, Matrox are going to be next to vanish.
>
> Matrox aren't going anywhere soon. They may have taken a back seat
> in the battle for consumer 3D cards, but they're actually increasing
> their market share in the area that counts most on the bottom line:
> corporate desktops. Go buy a new PC from IBM or Compaq. Chances are,
> it'll have a Matrox card inside. The average salesdroid doesn't need
> to play Quake 3 at 150fps. They need to be able to run Word and Excel
> on a crisp, fast display. That's an area where Matrox excels (excuse
> the pun).

i was not aware of the fact.  i still expect them to get bought out tho.

> >Come on tho, do you honestly think that the minority linux users out
> >there, who actually use their consumer power and vote with there wallets
> >will even appear in the FD's reports at nVidia?
>
> No, I don't, but that's no reason not to do it. It's like voting.
> Don't vote, and you have no right to complain. Put money into the
> pockets of companies that only provide closed source drivers and the
> same applies. That said, all the same arguments were wheeled out
> years ago when Diamond refused to release specs for their graphics
> cards. I refused to buy one on principle (despite them being the best
> performing cards on the market at the time), fully expecting it to
> make no difference whatsoever. Yet Diamond were forced to open up the
> specs shortly afterwards, presumably by market forces, and once they'd
> done so, I bought one.

<g>
what ever happened to diamond?  you dont hear much about them now.
the fat of the matter is, whoever has the greatest/fastest package out
there will be the markey leader in 3D.  consumers dont have much
loyality when it comes to FPS.  But, as the number of vendors diminishes
who ever's left will get the king of the mountain award.

then again, when it comes to voting, the current (politcal) teams are,
red, blue, and yellow.  i cant really spot any difference other than
branded colour.  last time i went into a voting booth, i didnt recall
seeing a 'none of the above' option.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 SENILE.COM found ... Out Of Memory ...