[Gllug] Swap file size

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 16:52:23 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 03:54:44PM -0000, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> > From: John Southern [mailto:john at livepublishing.co.uk]
> > Everything I read says twice the Ram size and gives examples
> > of 32MB Ram  and 64MB Swap. What happens as Ram increases.
> > Is there an upper limit to swap size that you should use and
> > if so why? If I have 512MB Ram do I really use 1GB for Swap?
>
> 80TB on a normal pc.
=)

> Seriously. I normally use the same amount as my ram. I think swap size is
> heavily dependant on what you are doing with a PC nowadays. If you are
> running a massive Oracle database you will require a lot of ram for any
> performance which will impact any room you have left for X or any other
> program.

i have a laptop with 256 MB which i run no swap,
another laptop with 128 MB which i run 64 MB swap,
and another laptop with 16 MB which i run 64 MB swap ...

disk space and performance is an issue. but i dont thrash memory
much and i dont have many open programs, just mozilla and a few
xterms.

there is no point raiding swap under linux as it now does something
similar across disk now, unless you give one disk a higher priority.

so i would recommend puting a small swap space on the first disk and
a larger swap space on a second disk. the first disk being your root
disk etc ... 32MB + 128MB or similar ... second disk with priority.

yes swap = ram * 2, is a good rule of thumb =) but depends on
circumstance really.

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     |   .^. Don't fear|

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk