[Gllug] Geforce2

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Jan 23 14:01:14 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, 23 Jan 2002, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
>>Mac enthusiasts - a similar size group to Linux users - can keep a
>>complete hardware line alive; and the Linux community have
>>successfully fought NIC manufacturers and SCSI card manufacturers to
>>the point that there is no shortage of cards with open specifications
>>and free drivers. Why should we not do the same to 3D card vendors?
>i dont think your compairing like for like.  SCSI and NIC cards all
>operate to a generic specification.

Nonsense. What happens out on the SCSI chain or on the network is
specified by standards, but for that matter what happens in the
monitor cable is too. The interface your computer sees varies very
much from card to card.

>>This would be the same kind of realist who believed that we'd never
>>see a complete free operating system, that a free Web server would
>>never be popular, that companies like IBM would never take free
>>software seriously, that Microsoft would never feel GNU/Linux was a
>>threat, etc.
>no.  it's the kind of realist who admits that 90% of the world uses
>MS.

Is anyone disputing that (for suitable values of '90%').

>it's almost like trying to convince north americans that a standard
>gearbox on a car is better than an automatic.  you might be right, but
>changing a culture?  now thats difficult.

Yes, but no-one is proposing we do that. Changing the behaviour of
graphics card manufacturers? Won't be the first time.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk