[Gllug] named

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Fri Jan 25 04:14:19 UTC 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, will wrote:

> E. R. Vaughan wrote:
>
> > Could you post your /etc/sudoers and /etc/named.conf?
>

> I could, but I have solved it!  I needed to setuid root on
> /usr/sbin/named.  named was unable to open a service on a port < 1024
> without it.

Nononononono!  The canonical way to run bind is to have root execute the
following command:

/usr/sbin/named -u binduser -g bindgroup

Make user binduser's login shell /bin/false and make /var/named the only
thing usable by binduser & bindgroup.

You don't want named to be running as root becasue it is wildly insecure
and get exploited very frequently.  Obviosly this doesn't matter on your
own box behind a masquarading firewall on you own private network, but
pretty well anywhere else you really don't want to run it as root.  If you
specify a -u user and -g group for named it will start, start
listening on UDP port 53, and drop down to the user & group specified.

The other big thing you have to watch for is whatever the correct
production version to use from the ISC is.  Last time I administered a
production nameserver Bind 9.1.3 was the latest version, but it was so
unreliable thet real people used 8.x.y (the latest one).  Bind 9 may have
improvered in the last 6 months.  See what other people are using now.

Regards
Bill.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk