[Gllug] We can put an end to Word attachments

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Jan 15 17:40:47 UTC 2002

>Feel free to name and shame. As one of my friends is fond of saying,
>"there just aren't enough bullets in the world".

I would do, but I appear to have deleted all trace of their email from
my system. Looking back through my records, I can see plenty of email
from agencies that couldn't read my PDF CV, but I can't find the one
that couldn't read the plain text that I sent either.

>What do you think an agency would do if you created a dvi version of
>your CV (say from LaTeX source), rename it to .doc, send it to them,
>and when they say they can't read it, tell them you're obviously
>using a different version of Word that's incompatible, and that they
>should upgrade/downgrade or accept in PDF/plain text/RTF?

Realistically, they're just likely to pick another candidate, rather than
put the effort in to deal with you. Sad, but true. Of course, that's no
reason not to do it. I won't deal with agencies that demand Word format
on moral grounds, even if it may cost me the position. I appreciate that
not everyone may be in a position to take a stand like that, though.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk