[Gllug] upgrading Potato2.2r3 To Woody

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Jan 31 11:47:31 UTC 2002

On 1/31/02, 11:10:28 AM, "Michael E. A." <m1k3oh at yahoo.com> wrote regarding
[Gllug] upgrading Potato2.2r3 To Woody:

> Would any Debian 'gurus' be attending the forthcomming GLLUG meeting on
> Saturday?

Look for the people in the posh seats.

> I'm having problems installing SSH Deamon.
> I'm also not too sure on how to go about upgrading from Potato2.2r3 To
> Woody.

That is very simple.  Edit your sources.list to a) comment out the
security.debian.org line (that site doesn't cover testing) and b) change
each mention of potato with woody (or each mention of stable with
testing).  Then run apt-get dist-upgrade.  You might have to run it two
or three times.

I advise people to use actual distribution names (potato, woody) rather
than generic names (stable, testing, unstable) or they risk a nasty
surprise when woody becomes stable etc.

> I'll see if I can get hold of a pcmcia modem before Saturday.
> But failing that? What do I put in '/etc/apt/sources.list' to tell it
> to search the Cdrom drive of my Win2K box?

If the cdrom will be visible via ftp then you simply add a line like

deb ftp://win2k.box/cdromftp/debian stable main contrib non-free

and make sure that it is always available whenever you run apt.

The problem with that is it only allows for one CD and is not useable for
multiple CDs.  There are two alternatives:

1.  Create an ftp share on your Win2k hard disk and copy all your CDs
onto there.  Then add lines like this:

deb ftp://win2k.box/ftpshare/disk1/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://win2k.box/ftpshare/disk2/debian stable main contrib non-free

2.  Use apt-cdrom.  Apt-cdrom is used to cope with the problem of CDs
(e.g. multiple archives from the same physical location) and also with
the fact that CDs often have small errors on them making individual files
unusable (apt-cdrom just marks the file as bad and tells apt to find
another source for it).  The nice thing about apt-cdrom is that the CD
drive doesn't have to be on the local machine, it just has to be
mountable accross the network.  So as long as you have some way of
mounting the remote CD (nfs, smb or similar) then apt-cdrom takes care of
the whole thing.

The best way to use apt-cdrom is to create a mount-point for the remote
CD and add it to /etc/fstab (so that it can be mounted automatically) and
then to /etc/apt/apt.conf.  Then when you run apt-cdrom it'll prompt you
to put the CD in the drive, mount the drive itself and analyse it, then
add the correct line to sources.list.  Do that for each CD.

Then when you try to install a package that is located on the CD it'll
prompt you to place the relevant CD in the remote drive, just the same as
it would if the CD drive were local.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk