[Gllug] Hancom Office

Andrew Richardson ahrichardson at clara.net
Sat Jan 19 23:43:06 UTC 2002

Sorry if this sounds like a plug but I received my copy of Hancom Office a
couple of days ago and I am impressed enough to think it merits a mention on
this list.

Hancom are a Korean software company who decided to produce the latest
version of their office suite using QT3.   In other words the Linux version
comes first and then the Windows port.  The are also a member of the KDE
leage etc etc.  I read about them in one of the Linux magazines and I though
a visit to the website could be worthwhile...
The product is a proprietary linux native office suite with an XL clone, a
presentation package (reads & writes powerpoint), a graphics package and
(currently) 2 wordprocessors.

The first of these 5.2 is a wine port from 'doze and is a bit clunky and maps
keyboard settings to US (so @ and " are in the wrong place etc).
The second, 6,  is a beta of the new native version which, when finished will
be (IMHO) great.   - It is already stable but cannot as yet write .doc files.
 (though they claim this will be fixed soon and offer free on line upgrades)

The company has a special offer going so I made the most of it and ordered a
boxed copy of the product for all of US$25 plus shipping charges of $18.  ie
approx total £ 30 or so.   They delivered in 5 days and I installed it
without a hitch. (NB the program is really designed with RedHat in mind (my
distro) but other distros may not be so straightforward).

Well I am actually quite impressed, on my box (p3 -600) all the apps load in
4 or 5 seconds flat and they appear more complete than open/star office.
The manual is good also.  It might not appeal to everyone but if you use a
red hat based distro for office type work it is worth consideration.
Their website is http://www.hancom.com

Cheers

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk