[Gllug] Fresh recommendations please

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sat Jan 19 16:07:29 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 12:26:48PM +0000, gllug wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 09:37:04AM +0000, George Saxby wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I have been lumbered by the "on high" with hacking a php & mysql program..I have NO experience of either just some with other languages.
> >         So what do you recommend as task orientated books rather than the 24hr type guff.
>

> I haven't found a php book hat I like - but the manual is good -
> especially the online annotated one.

I've found the manual to be very partial, omitting all kinds of salient
information.  The online manual does remedy this to some extent, through
the user comments, but I've found plenty of things that other users seem
not to have remarked upon.  Sometimes they flatly refuse to believe that
a thing is so - the comparitive computing/programming inexperience of
the PHP community doesn't impress or help in its development.

The more I've used PHP the less I like it.  The OO implementation is
*too* simple and even less complete than the manual indicates (for
example, a var statement that does not initialise the variable is
meaningless and ignored by the interpreter).

The limitations of the OO model, the lack of any equivalent to 'use
strict' (I mean, even VB has that), the fact that you have to recompile
PHP to add new modules - all of this makes it a real pain.  It doesn't
scale, IMO.

I'll be using Perl for web applications in future.  Its OO code isn't so
pretty, maybe, but it does

* Encapsulation
* Destructors
* Operator Overloading
* Multiple Inheritance
* Class Data

and other nice little things.  Oh and 'use strict'.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.