[Gllug] SCSI Cards.

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jan 9 15:45:41 UTC 2002

>But are scsi CD/RW better than burn proof IDE ones?

You're assuming BURN-proof and SCSI are mutually exclusive. Many SCSI
writers come with BURN-proof these days (e.g., recent Plextor drives).
And yes, a BURN-proof SCSI writer is likely to be better than a BURN
proof IDE drive.

BURN-proof is a technique to detect buffer underruns and rather than
write nothing (which turns your disc into a coaster), it writes a
redirect pointer to the end of the disk, in the hopes that the buffer
will fill up, and it can continue writing, filling in the blanks when
it gets to the end of the disk.

Note that if you're regularly using BURN-proof, then you're burning at
too high a speed for your system anyway. It's a nasty kludge that's
very inefficient in its use of space on the disc, and so large ISO
images may fail anyway where they would otherwise have fitted. But at
least it can sometimes salvage an otherwise useless disk.

>I have a SCSI cdwriter and scsi hard disk and get buffer overruns

I assume you mean underruns...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk