[Gllug] monster robot

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Jan 31 20:07:52 UTC 2002

In message <3C5300B6.9FC9563A at framestore-cfc.com>
          John Hearns <john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com> wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > dear glluggers,
> >

> > i met a few of you interested in robots / embedded boards -
> > [btw i was pressing the wrong reset button on the
> > axis developer board :)]
>
> I've always thought that Linus hackers in the UK should form a Scrapheap
> Challenge
> team.
> I think Alan Cox is a big fan!
>
> (BTW, anyone been watching the challenge program about restoring
> a stem traction engine? This week it is about restoring a tank.
> Should be a great program).
>
> Anyway, a robot might be fun.
>
> Some random thoughts:
>
> a) there is already someone on the list involved in a robotics project
>     in London. Please speak up!

<sludgly sucking noises>

that would be ... us

</>

unfortunately, this month is "31 days to deadline, hardware won't
arrive till 13th" month, so you're not going to get much sense out
of me :<

short comments:

use RTAI. We've had RTAI code continue to run perfectly while the
Linux box crashed spectacularly, and the RTAI boys really know their
stuff.

build modularly. You never want to have only one of something in
your system: you want to use N and have 2 spares.

use cvs. Especially for circuit diagrams, pcb layouts, and firmware.

don't reinvent communications protocols. Use CAN (or similar) instead.

> b)  you would probably be much better having this done as an
> undergrad
>      project in a university, or by soem college students. They'll have
> access
>      to machine tools etc. And you get a bunch of enthusiastic
> youngsters too.

Every year, every university has to invent a load of projects for
their 3rd years. Only drawbacks: they'll take a year, and they don't
have to get it to work.

> c) have you considered what happens if there's a bug in your code
>     and this thing rips your leg off ;-)

As long as you surround it with hazard tape, the person who crossed
the tape line is at fault. Seriously. Build in compliance.

if anyone *is* pursuing something like this, then they're welcome to
talk to us for advice, but we can't do support. (Busy quarter).

cheers,Rich.

--
Rich Walker: rw at shadow.org.uk (Shadow Robot Project)
http://www.shadow.org.uk        251 Liverpool Road