[Gllug] Recommendations

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Jan 17 15:40:15 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:10:03PM -0000, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent book on tcp/ip. I am
> reasonably familiar with the OSI model so I do not need an introductory
> book. I would like the major protocols described like smtp, snmp, udp,  etc.
> If it goes into *nix specifics then that would suit me as well.
>
> Would it be better if I printed off the RFC's that I want and just folder
> them as I find a lot of books have done that anyway.

At uni, we had the Tanenbaum Computer Networking book. Can't remember
its exact title, but it's a reasonable text. You might also want to
take a look at some of the books by W. Richard Stevens if you're
interested in programming, esp. with UNIX APIs (though something tells
me you're not too into that)

Cheers,

Simon

--
"Behold the warranty ... the bold print giveth and the fine
print taketh away." - fortune file

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk