[Gllug] TV-Out under Linux

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Fri Jan 18 10:39:26 UTC 2002

>When they released the powerdesk software for Linux (incidentally, under the
>GPL!), they also released a slightly different XFree86 driver which had the
>support for the powerdesk functionality.  IIRC it even included dynamic
>changing where possible, i.e. changing stuff without restarting X.  Check
>the Matrox FTP site...

Hmmm. Might take a look at that, then. While I have no real use for
TV out, the existing powerdesk only supports up to 1600x1200, while I
generally run at 1920x1440. Not a huge problem, as I'm quite happy to
go in and hand edit the generated XFree86 config file, but I wonder if
the newer driver might prompt powerdesk to offer more resolutions.

BTW, anyone manage to get XFree86 to autogenerate modelines for
non-standard resolutions? ESR's XFree86 Video Timings HOWTO claims
that it will do so if you just specify the resolution you want, but
for me (with XFree86-4.1), it doesn't for me. I was wondering if it
only did it for VESA modes (which I don't want). I'd write my own
modelines, but I can't find the full specs for my monitor (I have
refresh rates, but not bandwidth or porch timings).

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk