[Gllug] DevFS permissions

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed Jan 23 14:31:13 UTC 2002

Stephen Harker(steve at pauken.co.uk)@Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:58:28PM +0000:
> Right. So I have a Mandrake 8.1 (+cooker) upgraded from 8.0 and at
> some point DevFS was introduced to the system. I have a SCSI CD
> Writer which is scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd with a symbolic link
> to /dev/scd0. The owner/permissions are root.root/r-xr-xr-x. No
> attempts at changing permissions manually work at all. The upshot is
> that I have to run grip and gcombust etc as root. I would rather not.
> There is no reason to run grip as root normally.
> Any ideas on how to change it?

have a read thru: defsd(8)

it looks as if you can set permisisons for devices.  not having used
devfs i cant say for certain, but it looks like a starting point.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 We're not any better; we've got our own set of nonstandardisms.
 Just not those ones.
 -- tom lane

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk