[Gllug] ADSL modeom/router/splitter recommendations

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Jan 14 15:55:06 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 15:42, Darran D. Rimron-Molloy wrote:

> Ok, can someone explain this filter-thing to me -

Puts on his physicists hat (hmmm... wonder what a physicists hat DOES
look like? I think it is something like a wizard's hat from Harry
Potter. Anyway...)

ADSL uses standard phone lines - and over the same pair of wires
you get a voice call and the data from ADSL.

The range of frequencies for a normal voice call is between
0 and 20kHz  (I may be slightly wrong here).
So the ADSL data is carried by modulating higher frequencies.

The filter is there to electronically separate the low
frequency voice components from the high frequency ADSL.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk