[Gllug] Swap file size

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Jan 31 20:53:02 UTC 2002

In message <3C5962AA.2313B1FC at livepublishing.co.uk>
          John Southern <john at livepublishing.co.uk> wrote:

> What size should a swapfile partition be?
>
> Everything I read says twice the Ram size and gives examples of 32MB Ram
> and 64MB Swap.
> What happens as Ram increases.
> Is there an upper limit to swap size that you should use and if so why?
> If I have 512MB Ram do I really use 1GB for Swap?

I use the following rules of thumb:

Put one swap partition on every non-saturated disk

Put the partition between the two most heavily used partitions on
that disk, if possible.

Remember to put pri=1 in the /etc/fstab entry for each one,
otherwise they will be used serially, rather than in parallel.

Make the total amount of swap space be somewhere between 2 and 4
times the amount of RAM.

After a day of running, look at /proc/swaps and see how you're doing.

cheers,Rich.

--
Rich Walker: rw at shadow.org.uk (Shadow Robot Project)
http://www.shadow.org.uk        251 Liverpool Road