[Gllug] SmoothWall Corporate

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 12:06:26 UTC 2002

On 18 Jan 2002, Nick Mailer said:
> Yes. Someone should do a code-audit. Eben Moglen (general counsel to the
> FSF) is itching to prove the GPL in court once and for all..

Really? I've seen no evidence of this at all.

The general procedure when a GPL violation is encountered is roughly

1 project maintainer emails the violators, draws violators' attention,
  and asks to fix it
2 if nothing happens, rms at gnu.org (or licensing at gnu.org?) does the same
  thing
3 if nothing happens, a nice legal letter gets sent to the violators'
  lawyers (not sure if RMS or Eben Moglen sends it, probably the latter
  for the form of the thing)
4 if nothing happens, a nasty letter gets sent, similarly
5 if nothing happens, it would get to court.

I don't think it's ever got beyond step 3; *certainly* it's never got
beyond step 4. The corporate lawyers tend to read the GPL and run around
screaming because while it's ambiguous in places it's not very
ambiuguous, and it's simple. Lawyers hate that. :)

--
`I personally would not stand in a river waving a graphite rod above my
 head during a thunderstorm.' --- Harry Jackson

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk