[Gllug] Is this funny

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed Jan 2 15:49:02 UTC 2002

Simon Trimmer(simon at urbanmyth.org)@Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 11:34:59AM +0000:
> On 1 Jan 2002, Nix wrote:
> > This whole house of cards fell completely to pieces when other
> > filesystems started to be supported, because the knowledge of the format
> > of a directory was wired into lots of userspace programs :( many Unixes
> > (such as Linux) even ban read(2)ing from a directory, on the basis that
> > even if write(2)ing to a directory is banned, if you're allowed to
> > read(2) from it someone will find a way to rely on that :(
>
> It's a bit of a bugger though, I have been in situations (years ago) where
> people have typed a rm -rf * in the wrong place and taken out useful things
> like /bin, so you have a live system that is practically useless. Without ls
> it's nice to be able to cat . :)

i was sat next to someone once, doing support, who'd noticed that
someone had added a root2 act to his solaris box.  he then preceeded to
use the lovely gui admintool to remove the user.  and the home diretory.
he turned to me and said 'what does it mean by command ls not found?'
with his disk going apeshit in the background.  laugh? i almost sh**
myself. ;-)

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk