[Gllug] PPP link

Andy Loates andy at the-bizz.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 23:22:00 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, January 23, 2002 3:12 PM Roy Drinkwater wrote

> I am now trying to configure it such that when N or K tries to access an
> htpp address the PPP link gets established automatically and likewise
> when they are closed the link is also closed.

Try using diald. It should be on your Mandrake distribution disk as a RPM
package.

Basically, it runs as a daemon and detects automatically when you request
any external network service, i.e. a web address from your browser. It will
then calls a chat script, which you have to configure (dialdd package gives
you example file to work from), this then connects you to your ISP. It
doesnt diconnect when you close the page but only when there has been no
network traffic for the time you specify in the config files.

The documentation included with the package is pretty good.

With a couple if small scipts you can also use it to connect at regular
intervals using cron to collect your emails. I used it successfully for a
couple of years with very little agro before moving to ISDN.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk