[Gllug] Working with Linux in the UK.

Kieran kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 20:27:22 UTC 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Gordon Joly wrote:

> >  Outside London there seems to be quite a Linux/UNIX
> >skill-shortage.  Pay is comperable and living costs are half.
>
> I did a check with at
>
> http://www.it.jobserve.com/jobserve/homepage.asp
>
> and came up with....
>
> "Linux" and "London" - 85 jobs
> "Linux" - 282 jobs
>

> Hence, proportionally (on the basis of population, assuming one fifth
> to one quarter of the UK population live in Greater London), I would
> suggest that the spread across the country is the same. That is the
> density of Linux jobs in the same in London as anywhere else.
>
> Interesting result. Anybody go any real data on this?

My feeling for this when I was looking at the job ads, was that there
was more multiple-advertising outside London.  A job in Leeds and
another in Crawley were advertised by multiple agencies (I remember 8
advertising the job in Crawley on the same day).

My "wave hands" explanation is that few agencies would have large
numbers of candidates in remote parts.  Thus, the employer would get
the job more widely advertised.

As an aside, I've heard that in Australia, agencies will advertise
non-existent jobs, to get candidates on their books.  Does anyone have
experience of this in the UK?

regards

Kieran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk